Last updated October 2014
- Ristorante da Setimio, via delle Colonelle 14. Great food and atmosphere. The family who runs this restaurant takes good care of all their guests. My all time favorite so far in Rome. There is no outside seating.
|Pasta with tartuffo (truffle) at da Setimio|
- Renato e Luisa, via dei Barbieri 25. Tlf 06 68 69 660 http://www.renatoeluisa.it. Nice and rustique, close to piazza Navona.
- Da Enzo, via dei Vascellari 29, in Trastevere, tel: 06 58 12 260. Small and charming, serving the best meatballs I have ever tasted!
|Busy at lunch time (pranzo) at Da Enzo|
- Restaurant Costanza, piazza del Paradiso 63. Close to Campo dei Fiori. The restaurant is built on the remains of Pompeii's theater from 61 b.c., where Cesar was said to be murdered in 44 b.c. Remains from the old theater can still be seen in the walls of the restaurant.
- Gli Amici, piazza Sant'Egidio 6, in Trastevere. http://www.trattoriadegliamici.org/ Employs people with disabilities, and serves really delicious food. Has a nice outside terrace facing one of Trastevere's piazzas.
- Il Bacaro, via degli spagnoli 27 (close to Pantheon) http://www.ilbacaro.com/. Truffles are a part of every dish, it seems. For dinner I had pasta (homemade) in a white sauce with truffles etc. Terje had risotto, and without asking for it, we were both given a side plate with a small portion of eachother's dish.
- Enoteca e Taverna Capranica, Piazza Capranica 104 (close to Pantheon), http://www.tavernacapranica.it/ Very recomendable place for dinner with great. atmosphere. Both the Tiramisu and the Italian Riesling were amazing (not together). Has outside seating.
- Fiaschetteria bel Tramme, Via del Croce 39 (close to the Spannish steps). This place is all Italian, and fills up really quickly, we sat inside and had a great time watching the families catching up with eachother for lunch.
- Da Baffetto (close to Piazza Navona). Very popular pizzeria so there's always a line. The pizzas are amazing. (You can buy the cute carafes)
- Der Pallaro, Largo der Pallaro 15 (close to Campo dei Fiori). Set menu of really good Roman dishes. - We have had some good experiences here, and it used to be very inexpensive. We visited again in July 2011 and were disappointed - prices had increased a lot - and all the former regulars had disappeared.
- Flavio Al Velavevodetto, restaurant in Testaccio, where you can spot the remains of old pottery, which makes up the Testaccio hill, Via del Monte Testaccio, 97.
- Al Callarello - very local restaurant in the San Saba neighbourhood. The fish with potatoes is deliscious: Orata in crosta di patate e zucchine. Has outside seating. Via Salvator Rosa 8.
- La Villetta dal 1940, San Saba/Piramide metro station. Serves great food, especially for football-lovers. Has outside seating. Viale della Piràmide Cèstia, 5
|My family gathered at Al Callarello, in the San Saba neighbourhood (near Testaccio)|
- Löwenhaus. Near Via del Corso and Piazza del Popolo. Via della Fontanella, 16 b,
- De Santis, nice panini place close to Fontana di Trevi. Largo del Nazareno 14
- The cafe in Chiostro di Bramante, Via della Pace (Close to Piazza Navona). A peacefull spot to grab a snack or light lunch when you feel like getting away from the crowds. The cafe is at the first floor of an old monestary which is now a museum (you don't have to pay at the entrance to visit the cafe).
- GINA, via San Sebastianello 7 (close to the Spanish Steps). Cool place to have lunch. They only have seats inside.
- Insalata Ricca, this is a restaurant chain specialized on salads. You can find it on many locations in Rome. I have tried the one on Corso Vittorio Emanuele (close to Campo dei Fiori) - great for lunch if you like big salads. http://www.insalataricca.it/index.asp They have a vast selection of big tasty salads.
- Volpetti Piú, for very tasty quick lunches or take-out in Testaccio (Piramide Metro-station). Try the pizza and/or the suppli. Via Alessandro Volta 8.
- The roof terrace of Grand Hotel del la Minerva, Piazza della Minerva 69, (close to Pantheon) nice for a drink and view.
- Antico Caffe della Pace, Via della Pace 3/7. (Close to Piazza Navona). Nice for a drink and some people watching.
- Brunori - in Testaccio/San Saba/Piramide metro station - coffee and rock'n'roll - a combined caffé and record shop - great for breakfast or a drink. Viale di Porta Ardeatina.
- Ristorante Vitti, piazza Capranica (close to Pantheon) is a good place for drinks (aperitivo): They have tables in the piazza (great for people watching) and serve very good aperitivo. The place is right oposite Enoteca e Taverna Capranica (recomended restaurant).
|Brunori - near the Piramide metro station - coffee and rock'n'roll - a combined caffé and record shop|